Friday, March 18, 2011

Final Art Test - Spetsnaz WIP

Lions and Tigers and Baking Maps - Oh my!

I'm encountering a ton of really strange things.  An issue I've run into in the past has reared its ugly head once again.  "Maya has encountered a fatal error attempting to save in..."  After some research, I can only hope that Maya 2011 hotfix downloads will resolve this issue.  For the time being I am working in 2010.

I've been using Maya Transfer Maps to generate ambient occlusion and normal maps, however I've noticed that sometimes the two don't line up properly.  Exampe:


This seems very strange considering both maps were baked simultaneously (and without touching the UVs.)

My teacher, Mr.Gardner, has increased my poly count by the way.  Instead of 10,000 tris I have been upgraded to 15,000 due to the poly-expensive treads this tank has.


Most of my high poly is finished or soon to be tweaked.  It's just a matter of baking all that information into texture maps and compiling it all in Photoshop.  I plan on using a combination of Photoshop and Mudbox (my new favorite 3d painting program) to generate some seemless diffuse and spec maps!


No comments:

Post a Comment